Teachers & Advisers
Parents & Carers

Jargon Buster

A LevelsA Levels are an academic qualification, studied over a period of two years, which provide subject specific knowledge and skills which can provide entry into a range of further study, training and employment opportunities.
BABachelor of Arts is the undergraduate degree awarded to those studying an arts or humanities degree. 
BMATThe Biomedical Admissions Test. A medical admissions test required by certain universities for entry onto their medicine and dentistry courses. 
BScBachelor of Science, the undergraduate degree awarded to those studying a scientific discipline. 
BTECBusiness and Technology Education Council. Vocational qualifications that equip students with theoretical and practical knowledge in a range of subjects. 
BursaryA non-repayable monetary award made to students who satisfy certain criteria as set by the awarding universities and colleges. 
ClearingClearing is how universities and colleges fill vacancies on their courses. It opens in June and allows students who have not yet made an application to apply to a course. It is also a way for students to find vacancies on results day, if they wish to change courses/institutions or are not holding an offer. 
Combined HonoursA degree encompassing more than one subject. 
DSADisabled Student Allowances are monetary awards made to those students who may need additional support through their studies as a result of a disability or long-term health condition. For example, these awards may pay for specialist equipment, printing costs, a note-taker etc. These awards are assessed on a case-by-case basis. 
FEFurther Education. Refers to the qualifications taken post 16, i.e., after a student has taken their GCSEs. 
Firm ChoiceA student’s ‘first choice’ of course and institution. If a student has applied to higher education courses through UCAS, and received offers, they are asked to select their firm choice which is the course they will study if they meet the conditions of their offer.
FresherThe informal term given to first year students at in higher education. 
Gap YearStudents may opt to take some time out of education before commencing a higher education course. This time is commonly used to work, travel, or volunteer.
GCSEGeneral Certificate of Secondary Education. The qualifications are taken at the end of a student’s secondary education, in Year 11.  
HallsThe term given to the university accommodation that students can opt to live in during their first year of study at university.
HEHigher Education. Refers to the qualifications that are taken at Level 4 or above. 
Honsindicates a level of attainment attached to a BSc or BA.
Insurance ChoiceA student’s second choice of higher education, usually with slightly lower entry requirements. This is the institution and course a student will attend should they not meet the terms of their Firm choice. 
KS3Key stage 3 (or KS3) refers to school years 7-9. 
KS4Key stage 4 (or KS4) refers to school years 10-11. 
KS5Key stage 5 (or KS5) refers to school years 12-13.
LectureA style of teaching where staff deliver content in a theatre style room with students taking notes. 
Module A period of study covering a particular topic. Many programmes are divided into modules with a certain number of modules required to study the course to completion.
SemesterA block of study containing certain modules (at universities the year is usually split into two semesters). 
SeminarSmaller, more interactive, group teaching. Usually centred on group discussion with some work to prepare prior to the session. 
SFEStudent Finance England are the body who manage applications for maintenance and tuition fee loans across England. 
TermThe periods of teaching time throughout the academic year. 
UCAS ExtraAn additional period of time to apply for courses through UCAS when someone has not applied during the main UCAS application period or has received no offers of a place. 
UCAS TrackThe online service allowing applicants to track the status of their higher education applications.
UCASUniversity and College Admissions Service. The central organisation who handles applications for higher education across the UK. 
UCATThe University Clinical Aptitude Test. An admissions test required by some medical and dental schools across the UK.