What is Higher Education?
Higher education is the term given to any qualification at Level 4 or above, these are the ones you may choose to study after sixth form or college. In the North East we are lucky to have so many fantastic universities and colleges that offer higher education so that you can choose exactly what, where, and how you want to study.
There are some jobs that you can only do once you hold a certain set of higher education qualifications, e.g., doctors, dentists and architects, but many more jobs favour applicants who hold a higher education qualification.
Why Higher Education?
No matter which route you take, higher education brings a range of benefits that last a lifetime! Some of these include:
- A greater range of jobs being available to you. Although not all jobs require a specific subject, there are many jobs that require a higher education qualification. Holding a higher education qualification might also allow you to enter a career in a more senior position!
- Greater income during your working life. Evidence has shown that individuals holding a higher education qualification earn more, on average, that non-graduates.
- The opportunity to gain work experience and network. Both of these things are beneficial when applying to jobs and they develop your skills and also give you the chance to find out what you are looking for in a job.
- A deeper knowledge and advanced skills in the subject area that interests you. You get to become an expert in your chosen area!
- Friends and experiences for life! You’ll join a community at your chosen place of study where you will meet like-minded people and have the opportunity to try a range of new experiences (and have great fun along the way).
Who Studies Higher Education?
Higher education qualifications are open to those who are aged 18 or over and have the required qualifications/experience. You can start at any age and can return to education at different points in your life. If you don’t meet the entry requirements for the course you want to study there are also plenty of options available!
Where Can I Study?
There are a large number of higher education providers in the North East, across the country, and across the world! To see what’s available in our region click here.